- June 21, 2018
A Capacity Development plan has been prepared by the DAA for Dublin Airport to identify Projects to improve the layout, appearance and functionality of terminals 1 (‘T1’) and 2 (‘T2’). The overall objective of this plan is to enable the DAA to deliver on its key business priorities. Part of these business priorities is delivering a quality airport travel experience to the best international standards and enhancing the DAA’s corporate reputation. Kilwex completed 3nr civil infrastructure elements of this project between 2016 and 2018.
This work was carried out to a very challenging programme and included:
- Demolition/ site clearance
- Breaking up and excavating large areas of PQC apron pavement and bond road.
- Various RC pad, raft foundations and superstructures for buildings.
- Laying deep drainage and multi-way ducted (up to 15-way) services in pavements in close proximity to existing services and structures.
- Foundations for high mast lights and stand signs.
- Realignment of bond road.
- 400m of airside security walling and fence.
- Circa 4,000m2 each of full rigid (PQC) and flexible pavement construction.
- Water main diversions in various locations.
- Protection barriers/ bollards to HMLs, hydrants, other electrical components and for pedestrian protection.
- Extensive permanent and temporary surface markings on stands, perimeter roads and bonded areas.
- Implementing, maintaining and revising phasing and traffic management arrangements throughout the project to maintain smooth operation of DAA and its clients’ traffic adjacent to the works – including stand usage and cargo operations.
- Working in co-operation with other contractors engaged by the Employer to the benefit of overall programme and quality.
- Careful planning of construction deliveries and operations was required along Bond Road and onto site (shared with client stakeholders and other contractors) and also to maintain access for Aer Lingus and other cargo traffic through site in a number of locations.
- Works requiring handback at the end of work periods were involved on existing stands, perimeter road, Bond Road, Aer Lingus entrances, beside mortuary and at tie-ins of airside boundary walls/ fencing (where airside security level had to be maintained at all times).
Client: Flynn Management & contractors Ltd/ Dublin Airport Authority plc
Completion Date: 2nd Qtr 2018
Value: €6.5 million